Live and Asynchronous Lectures, Seminars and Small Group Teaching (Tutorials) via Blackboard Collaborate
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is an inbuilt tool of our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment that enables you to:
- run live online lectures and seminars
- record lectures and seminars (live or recording on your own for later)
- run synchronous help sessions
- run small group teaching online such as tutorials
- enable students to talk to one another with no staff interference
Blackboard Collaborate vs. Zoom
Blackboard Collaborate and Zoom have been being used interchangeably recently; this is because both have unique selling points when used for meetings, teaching or online get-togethers.
Blackboard Collaborate is preferrable when:
- You want your attendees to enter the room from your Blackboard course
- You want to ensure that the attendees are only from your Blackboard course.
- You wish to allow students on your course to talk to each other without your interference.
- You have up to 500 students attending (note: student numbers exceeding 250 need an additional setting added).
Zoom is preferable when you:
- Know that at least one of your attendees may have limited internet speeds
At the moment, there is a limit on these systems as to the number of users who can enter a session at the same time. 300 users for Zoom, 250 for regular Blackboard Collaborate sessions with an optional increase to 500 for large sessions.