It is possible to use your University P Drive at the university to host pages that can be seen on the web. This is achieved by working through the following simple steps.
- Go into your P drive and add the files you wish to share into the folder called “public_html” (this should be there automatically; if not, contact IT Services.
- Check to see if the folder has a file in it called “default.htm”.
- If not, open Notepad, create a new Notepad file, then select the ‘Save As’ option. The file name should be “default.htm” and the ‘Save as type’ should be “All files (*.*). Put this file into your “public_html” folder.
- Go to the website http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/ and type in your surname and “Submit” (NOTE: Student names will not automatically appear at this point. You have to wait until you move to the next page, choose your “status” and then search again).
- Click your name.
- You should see a link under “Homepage”. Copy this link.
- At the end of the link add “/” followed by the exact file name and file type. As an example, when linking to a file called “Instructions.pdf”, http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/Joe.Bloggs would become http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/Joe.Bloggs/Instructions.pdf (Note: when using folders in your public_html folder, you will need to specify the folder names in a similar fashion, i.e. http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/Joe.Bloggs/foldername/Instructions.pdf).
- This is the link to your document on the web. Pasting the link directly into a web browser should allow you connect to your document.
Was this helpful?
We can only improve our service if you tell us what you think.
Using your P Drive to host a website