If you have a paper assignment, it is a good idea to upload the marks from the assignment into the Blackboard grade centre so that students have a record of all their marks for the coursework part of your unit in one place.
To upload marks into Blackboard you will need to have the marks in a spreadsheet format that Blackboard can understand. The easiest way to do this is the download a template from Blackboard, add the marks, and re-upload the template.
- In your course, navigate to the Blackboard Grade centre (Full grade centre)
- In the top right hand corner (just above the table of marks) click on the ‘Work Offline’ button and select ‘Download’.
- You will be taken to a new page. On this page, change the data option to ‘User information only’, leave all the other settings as they are and click ‘Submit’.
- On the following page click the ‘Download’ button. Your spreadsheet will then download. It will contain a list of all of the students in your course along with their usernames, ID numbers, last time they accessed Blackboard and availability status. Please do not change any of this information and do not delete and rows or columns. Please also remember that this is classed as sensitive data because of the amount of student data included in the spreadsheet, therefore it must not be stored on memory sticks or portable devices, and it must not be emailed to anyone (other than authorised members of staff, and you must use appropriate encryption to do so).
- In cell G1 of your spreadsheet type the name you would like to give to the new column of marks. All marks can then be added into the spreadsheet in column G on the relevant row for each student. Ideally grades should be added as a mark out of 100 if possible.
- Once you have finished adding your marks and saved the spreadsheet (please do not change the format it saves as), you will need to re-upload it into Blackboard.
- Go into the full grade centre, click ‘Work Offline’ and ‘Upload’, browse your computer and find the file you just added marks too. Click ‘submit’.
- The upload confirmation page will confirm the new columns and grades that are being added. In some cases you may already have created a column for your grades with a similar name, so there may be a drop down menu under the match heading which will allow you to add the marks into an existing column rather than adding a new column. Press submit to confirm you are happy with what is being added.
- Check the grade centre to confirm the marks have been added. Please cross check a few of the students marks to ensure they have received the mark you intended to give them.